I want to leave this relationship
PERSONALIZED SAFETY PLAN
Any time we are involved in situations that became
dangerous to us or to our children we are alerted to make plans
for the future. We can act on these plans in case of any emergency
that threatens our personal safety. It is not possible to control
other people's behavior, even if we know them very well, but we
can make plans to guide our own behavior should we become frightened
or feel threatened. The following outline is a start, creating a
personal safety plan for you and your family.
I can use the following safety precautions:
1. I will leave money and an extra set of keys with
____________ in case of emergency.
2. I will keep important documents* (or copies) at
(*Identification for myself. Birth Certificates. Social Security
Cards. School and Vaccination Records. Money. Extra set of keys.)
3. I will carry change to make emergency phone calls.
4. I will make arrangements with __________________________to
stay with them for a short time in case of an emergency.
5. I will give my children's school or day care copies
of any important legal documents pertaining to my children, and
a list of people who may not pick the children up from school or
6. I can carry my protective
order (or a copy) with me at all times.
If my partner no longer lives
with us and is still dangerous. In my home:
1. I will get steel core doors installed.
2.I will get a peephole installed.
3. I will have a blind dead bolt installed.
4. I will make sure there are two ways to exit the
5. I will get outside lighting by the door.
6. I will tell _____________________ that my partner
no longer lives with me and ask them to call the police if they
see him around the house.
7. I will help my children develop their own safety
plans, and teach them how to get in contact with me if we are ever
On the job or in public:
1. I will inform my boss and a co-worker about my
2. I will ask to have my phone calls screened.
3. When leaving work I can __________________________.
4. When driving home, if a problem occurs I can __________________.
5. I will use different grocery stores and shopping
malls, and shop at different times than I did when I resided with
Drugs and Alcohol:
I understand that drug and alcohol use can impair
my ability to react quickly and effectively if I am threatened.
1. If I am going to use, I can do so in a safe place
and with people who understand the risk of violence and are committed
to my safety.
2. To safeguard my children, I might ________________________________.
Safety and my Emotional Health:
1. If I feel down and ready to return to a potentially
abusive situation, I can _______________.
2. When I have to talk with my batterer in person,
or by phone, I will ____________________.
3. When I feel others are trying to control or abuse
me, I can tell myself "_________________."
4. I can call _________________ and _________ or ___________if
I need support.
5. I can go to workshops and support groups at the
Center for Battered Women or ____________ to gain support and strengthen
my relationships with others.
Every woman's situation is different. Think about
your own circumstances and add to this list of precautions.