Getting help in Austin, Texas


I am the abuser. What can I do?

As a person who is abusing your partner or family member, you have a responsibility to stop the violence.

There is help available for you and you must be willing to seek out that help regardless of whether your partner or family member is going to stay with you.

The first thing to do is to talk with someone about your problem.

You can call a hotline: National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1800-787-3224 for the hearing impaired.

You can seek counseling: Lifeworks 478-1648

You can talk with a friend, clergy or other trusted person.

You can take responsiblity foryour problem by not minimizing its seriousness or blaming it on someone or something else, or saying that you can't control it. You CAN learn to control it.

You can respect your children by getting help so that they do not inherit a legacy of violence.

You can respect yourself by learning that no one deserves to be abused and everyone deserves to be loved and live violence-free.


  I am the abuser
My family is experiencing violence
I would like to


Legal Services Links:
Travis County Attorney's Office
Travis County District Attorney's Office
Legal Aid of Central Texas
Women's Advocacy Project

Social Services Links:
APD Victim Services
TCSO Victim Services
SafePlace: Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Survival Center
Austin Child Guidance Center

Additional Resources:

Domestic Violence Hotlines and Resources

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Violence Against Women Office

Violence Agaianst Men and Women

Family Violence Awareness Page

Husband Battering

Child Abuse:

National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information

Prevent Child Abuse America

National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect

Child Abuse Yellow Pages

Family Violence

Child Abuse

Traffic Accidents and Fatalities

Legal Support and Information