Getting help in Austin, Texas


I am a victim. What can I do?

As the victim in a violent relationship, it is important for you to know that you have taken a powerful first step by seeking out the information on this website.

You are not alone, although it is likely that you feel this way.

Be assured that emotional, physical, and other kinds of support are just a phone call away.

While each person's situation is different, your safety is of primary importance. The first thing to do is to create a safety plan.

A safety plan is important whether you are leaving tbe abuser or staying with him/her.

You can either call a counselor at one of the following hotlines:


1-800- 799-SAFE (799-5233)

Or you can contact a counselor at the FVPT during business hours:

To find out what a counselor can do for you, click here.

You can talk with a counselor on the phone or in person. The counselor will assist you in developing a plan to increase your physical and emotional safety.

If you would prefer to work on the plan without a counselor, a sample safey plan is available by clicking here.

Along with completing a safety plan, it is vital that you give yourself permission to come out of isolation and talk with others.

The abuse is NOT your fault.

But it is likely that the abuser has convinced you that you deserve to be abused or that you provoke him/her.

You may also be in a situation where you feel you have exhausted your support network of family and friends.

These people may act frustrated or even angry with your for not leaving the situation. Or, perhaps you have tried leaving several times, and it feels like they have lost faith in you.

It is not uncommon for this to happen and you may need to seek other support for the time being.

Talking with a counselor can help you get started.

In addition, Safe Place offers group counseling free of charge.

It's ok if you don't feel ready to be in a group or to meet with a counselor in person... you always have the option of calling the hotline anonymously or even reaching out to a trusted friend.

You can:

1. Find a book to read for more information.

2. Keep a journal. Expressing yourself through writing can be very therapeutic.

3. Talk to your doctor, pastor, rabbi, etc. - until you find someone who will listen. Beware of people who tell you that you must stay in the relationship and endure the pain quietly - that is not a healthy option for you.

4. Apply for a Protective Order/Seek legal advice.

5. Check out the rest of our website for more information.


  I am the victim
My family is experiencing violence
I would like to...


Legal Services Links:
Travis County Attorney's Office
Travis County District Attorney's Office
Legal Aid of Central Texas
Women's Advocacy Project

Social Services Links:
APD Victim Services
TCSO Victim Services
SafePlace: Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Survival Center
Austin Child Guidance Center

Additional Resources:

Domestic Violence Hotlines and Resources

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Violence Against Women Office

Violence Agaianst Men and Women

Family Violence Awareness Page

Husband Battering

Child Abuse:

National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information

Prevent Child Abuse America

National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect

Child Abuse Yellow Pages

Family Violence

Child Abuse

Traffic Accidents and Fatalities

Legal Support and Information